Friday, January 30, 2009

Painswick Hookie



On Wednesday (1/28/09), Rachelle and I dropped off the kids at school and picked up Karen Monks (one of the New Americans). The three of us headed off to Painswick, a small Cotswold village that challenges Bibury for the prettiest village in England.

Our first stop in Painswick was the 18th century Rococo Gardens, where we wandered a hedge maze and imagined how beautiful the grounds must be in the spring. We then walked around St. Mary's church, which has 99 yew trees that look like they could have inspired Dr. Seuss. We had lunch in front of a big fire at a charming and cozy pub dating back to the 1500s. I rested my ankle in the pub and worked on my laptop while Rachelle and Karen went for a walk recommended by the pub owner. Rachelle and Karen said it was a beautiful walk through the hills, but my quiet time in the warm pub was precious too.

No comments: