Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 2

The family is still adjusting to the new time zone, but having fun when awake. Yesterday, Rachelle and Liv took a little walk, got lost, and had a nice hour and half walk in the woods. Since our home is on campus, Noah and I explored the grounds. We walked around the duck/cod pond, saw lots of little bunnies, and explored the soccer fields. We popped into the rec center and I met someone who organizes a men's soccer team, and I will come to tryouts next Thursday. The 20-something kid said that they were looking for a new player or two because they have a couple of guys who are old. I nodded and smiled while trying not to expose too many 40-year-old smile wrinkles around the eyes.

We caught the bendable bus downtown to meet Kevin and some of his colleagues at a pub. Noah is thrilled to be able to tell his friends at home that he went into a pub. This is his highlight of the trip so far.

At noon there was an Esther Parkin celebration at our residence in the communal area. It was nice with beverages and food and toasts. They announced me as the David Parkin Professor, and I was able to thank the trust members who voted on my appointment to the post. As we spoke, one of the trustees happened upon the topic of trying to talk Michael Goldfarb (My cuz) to come to Bath on sabbatical. Small world.

This evening, we walked downtown to meet Kevin, Chris, and some other at a pub for some room-temp beers. On the walk, Liv suffered her first bee sting ever, but was able to shake it off. We had dinner with Chris (my new boss) and Zoe (his wife). Chris and Zoe lit into Noah for supporting Manchester United (Chris and Zoe are Everton fans).

Another favorite of the kids: Tea time and cake. They have had this each day thus far. I am not sure how long we will keep up that tradition, but it is fun so far.

Two things I have learned today: 1) The English refer to pants as "trousers". So, when I complimented Kevin on his pants, he informed me that "pants" in England refers to underwear. Oops. 2) They do not tip. So, when you spend 4 pounds (8 US dollars!) on a pint or 10 pounds (20 US dollars!) on pizza, they do not expect a tip. What a bargain.

The weather has been beautiful. Sunny and cloudy mixed and cool. Jeans or other trousers, shirt, and maybe a jacket. Nice, but this is as warm as it gets here!

One highlight for Rachelle and me: The town and hills are so beautiful that even Noah stopped on our way downtown and said, "Wow!" All of the buildings are tan stone - one person describe them as like hot buttered toast - the hills are incredibly green with wonderful gardens, trees, castles, and rocks. Gorgeous.

Come visit!

No comments: