Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Spain Trip Part II: La Herradura



On Monday, Feb 16, we wound down the mountain and found our way to our hotel in La Herradura, a small beach village. Although our hotel was not as unique as our Bubion house, we did appreciate the conveniences of internet and temperature control.

A large tour group of tiny elderly Spaniards shared our hotel, and we enjoyed watching them play cards in the lounge, descend on the great buffet in the restaurant, and argue and yack to one another in Spanish. Although we enjoyed watching their antics, we timed our breakfasts so that we finished eating before the little Espanolas demolished the eggs, fruit, fish, and cereal leaving dust and rubble in their wake.

Shortly after arriving at our hotel on Monday, Rachelle and I found a beach bar and shared sangria while watching the kids play in the sand and the shallows of the Mediterranean. That evening I interviewed potential graduate students for GSU via Skype, which I have to admit was more fun than doing the interviews live. Dinner that evening was at a beach restaurant called Bamboo, which had plants hanging from the ceilings and walls that were made of … bamboo.

On Tuesday, we explored a tiny hidden cove and searched for shells and rocks. The kids especially enjoyed standing on a rock that stood on the water and waiting for the waves to wash up on their toes.

Tuesday afternoon I drove to the University of Malaga to give a talk. Just before I was to give the talk, I was told that the translator was not available, and it would be great if I could do the talk in Spanish rather than English as planned. I will have to admit that I put on one smooth seamless Spanish-English-pantomime performance for the group and earned my Euros that afternoon. I headed back to meet the family, who had managed to do their own pantomiming to have dinner without Senor Lindsey’s help. The next we had to pull the kids off the beach to head inland for the next part of our trip in the wonderful city of Sevilla.

No comments: