Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Week in Review

We have had a fine week. Here are the highlights:

On Monday, Rachelle cooked up a wonderful Rosh Hashanah dinner, complete with Scottish salmon, apples to dip in honey, and homemade challah. Janet, Kevin, and Kaidyn joined us for the fine meal. We also delighted in the excellent SNL parody of the Couric-Palin interview (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/couric-palin-open/704042/) Sadly, it is really not that different from the actual interview.

The cold rains of Tuesday did not stop Noah from having soccer practice or me from joining 3 friends for a long run up and down the steep hills of bath. The run was especially exciting as we cut through hills and dodged cows.

Wednesday witnessed Liv scoring a goal in her soccer practice scrimmage. This is especially impressive because she is the youngest by over a year and many of the girls are 10 years old. Noah was selected to be a school Monitor, so he gets to wear a Monitor pin and help out the younger kids.

On Thursday, Noah had a play date while Liv had mommy time and I had soccer practice.

Rachelle was a saint on Friday watching Noah, Liv, and Kaidyn as Kevin, Janet, and I attended day 1 of a 3-day workshop on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). For more information about ACT, see http://www.contextualpsychology.org/act . Learning ACT is at the core of my sabbatical.

Unfortunately, I drank coffee at the break, and not being a coffee-drinker, I was awake into the wee hours watching the Biden-Palin debate and up very early this morning watching the Daily Show clips, such as this one: http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=186776&title=clusterf#@k-to-the-poor-house

Now it is early Saturday morning and again Rachelle will watch 3 kids as Kevin, Janet, and I attend day 2 of the workshop. Rachelle is going to need a break after this weekend.

The biggest highlight of the week so far has been the quiet evenings. Yes, the students have reigned in their parties. Now that school is in session, the students are buckling down to study and sleep. I know I shouldn't be counting my chickens, but it is good for now.

I'll update this again on Sunday and maybe add a picture or few, but I'll post it now so that family and friends can start sending good vibes Rachelle's way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hang in there, rachelle! let me and sweet pea take you to london for a little break!